Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Temporary Trouble with Paige Turner


Thank you to Sara York for inviting me to guest blog with her! I’m celebrating the release of my first erotic romance, Temporary Trouble, part of Total-E-Bound’s Tempting Temps collection.

Today I’d like to talk about judging a book by its cover. They say you shouldn’t – but “they” say a lot of things, some of them sensible and some of them silly, and in this case I think they’re wrong.

I’m an absolutely voracious reader, and I buy a lot of books. There are two rooms in my house entirely given over to books, and eventually my husband and my cat are going to have to go and live in the garden shed to make room for more books.

Horror, science fiction, fantasy, murder mysteries and literary fiction. Science and history. Books on crafting, books on cooking, books on criminal profiling. And, of course, erotic romance. I love books of all kinds.

I often buy stories by authors who are new to me, or in genres I haven’t explored before. So I need some way to decide what looks interesting and what doesn’t. That’s where the cover comes in. The chances are it will be the title and the cover art that first tempt me to pick up a book.

The second thing that catches my eye is the blurb. It gives me a better idea of what the story is about, and whether or not it’s likely to be my cup of tea. Am I in the mood for a brilliant but troubled detective? A series of grisly and baffling murders? Zooming through the stars at the speed of light fighting epic space battles? A multi-generational kitchen sink drama?

Only if the cover and blurb catch my interest do I open the book and skim a few lines to see whether the writer’s voice matches my taste or my mood. And so far this method has rarely let me down.

What influences your decisions when you’re shopping for reading material? Recommendations? Reviews? Do you read a bit of the book before you buy it, or would you rather be surprised? Do you only buy books by authors you’ve read and enjoyed before? Do you pick your reading material completely at random? Or do you, like me, judge a book by its cover?

For a chance to judge Temporary Trouble by its cover, and perhaps to pre-order it, click! [http://www.total-e-bound.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=1391]
Bio

Paige Turner likes to write love stories with a difference. Whether it’s boy-meets-girl, boy-meets-boy or werewolf-meets-vampire, she thinks everyone deserves a happy ending. She lives partly in England but mostly in Cyberspace. She enjoys dreadful puns and naughty stories, and believes the best way to have a good time is by being bad.

Pre-order link for Temporary Trouble

http://www.total-e-bound.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=1391
 



1 comment:

Sara York said...

I want to thank Paige for being a guest on my blog. I hope you all enjoy her books.