Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Gladiator Prince


I want to welcome Minnette Meador to my blog today. I hope you enjoy her books and this interview.


The Gladiator Prince

Prince Thane is the last surviving royalty of the Trinovantes Tribe in Roman Britannia, having surrendered to the Romans to save his two young daughters, whose identities he sacrifices his freedom to protect. He is condemned by Nero himself to become a gladiator, to fight until he dies in the arena. When his two daughters are taken in a slaver's raid, Thane escapes to find them. 

Phaedra holds a terrible secret that would mean the death of her younger brother. Her only hope is to force the gladiator to protect them as they flee to Rome. He reluctantly agrees. Little does he know that the beautiful Syrian woman holds not only the key to his passion, but a secret that triggers a disaster that ignites the world. Will this spoiled willful girl betray him in the end or sacrifice herself to save them all?  


1.     Tell us about your books.
I have several books published in epic fantasy, historical romance, paranormal romantic comedy, children’s books, and an urban fantasy coming out in October. For a complete list with excerpts and blurbs, visit: http://minnettemeador.blogspot.com/p/books-by-minnette.html

2.     What inspired you to write The Gladiator Prince?
Thane is a minor character in The Edge of Honor who helps Delia escape slavers who capture her while she’s trying to save Marius from the arena. He was such an amazing character I had to write about him. It just took off after that.



3.     What’s the story behind The Centurion and the Queen.
One wonderful Saturday, my DH was off to work and I was home watching the History Channel. An amazing documentary came on called Boudicca: The Warrior Queen. I was hooked from the first scene. I was starting a writing class and was going to work on my fantasy Starsight, but it had just sold, so I asked my teacher which story she wanted me to work on; a ghost story or a historical romance. She picked the romance and things just took off from there. Marius and Delia are roughly based off my mother and father.



4.     What are you working on right now?
I am getting ready for my urban fantasy thriller being release on October 26th, THE BELL STALKER. Here’s a blurb:

THE BELL STALKER - Excerpt
an urban fantasy thriller
by Minnette Meador
RELEASE DATE: October 26, 2011
Resplendence Publishing

For a year, Belle Stark has struggled to conquer fears plaguing her since being attacked by a maniac who continues to roam free and the murder of her father. And she nearly succeeds, until she discovers her lover's murdered body spread over the furniture, making Belle a prime suspect. Certain her attacker is to blame, she is forced to seek help from her ex-husband, homicide detective Mike Cranston, the one person she swore she would never let back into her life, or heart. In their hunt for answers, the two uncover more than a lunatic: a supernatural underworld hidden beneath the tall skyscrapers of the city and a secret that could kill them both. Faced with a terrible choice, Belle surrenders herself to the hands of a monster and Mike must solve an ancient mystery before it's too late to save her---
5. Where is your favorite place to write? My office, though I write in bed quite a bit too, especially in the summer (we have an air conditioner in our bedroom).

6. Who would you most like to write a book with if you could choose anyone in the world? Mark Twain

7. Do you have a writing schedule or do you just go with the flow? I’m a marathon writer, which means I don’t write all the time, but when I do I write 10K-20K in a sitting. For some reason that has always worked for me. I love to take 2-3 days to shut out the rest of the world and get everything down. I’m a very fast writer, I guess, so that helps.

8. What do you like most about writing? Creating the story and writing “The End.”

9. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? I have many favorites and what pulls me into their work is fast-paced, simple writing that gets to the point and moves you from page to page without stopping. I like beautifully written pieces, but if it doesn’t move, I lose interest quickly.

10. What is the biggest challenge you have faced as a writer? Finding time. I work full time, write full time, and promote full time, so it’s especially hard to get everything to balance for me.

11. What is the biggest challenge you have faced with a publisher? Both of my publishers are amazing and I don’t think I’ve ever had a complaint about either. They have always been there for me, been patient when I needed it and kicked me in the butt when I needed it too.

12. When did you first consider yourself a writer? When I penned my first Star Trek episode at age 8. Of course, it was completely plagiarized by Gene Roddenberry, but I don’t mind.

13. Where do you get your ideas for your books? The Gladiator Prince came from a character out of The Edge of Honor. I knew when I met him that the next book had to be about him. Ideas come from all over the place; A Ghost of a Chance came from a “what if” challenge (What if someone saw ghosts…. hundreds and hundreds of ghosts?); Starsight came from wondering how music could create magic; The Centurion & The Queen was sparked by a History Channel special on Boudicca; my children’s book from stories I used to tell my kids when they were young; The Bell Stalker from a challenge on Textnovel.com; Arpeggios in the Dark from The Ship Who Sang, by Ann McCaffrey. I never know when it’s going to hit me next and I’m very grateful it still does! :o)

24 comments:

Christiana said...

Good Morning Ladies.

Sara, you have a wonderful blog and I will have to come back more.

Minnette, as always a very insightful interview. Of course I'm counting down the days for The Bell Stalker, and enjoying this wonderful hop.

I don't know how to find the time to do so much, goodness knows, when I'm writing, I barely leave my office.

~Christiana~

tianadawn@gmail.com

Bama said...

afternoon:) lol nice interview

tammy ramey said...

great interview,i love the covers of the book. they are all so beautiful and i am looking forward to reading them all. i am also looking forward to the new book The Bell Stalker, it sounds very exciting.

trvlagnt1t@yahoo.com

shadow_kohler said...

Hi Minnette! Hope your having a wonderful day! Great interview. The Bell Stalker sounds awesome! Cant wait for this to come out. :) Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful day!!
shadowluvs2read(at)aol(dot)com

Na said...

This is shaping up to be a great year for you Minnette. One release after another, an even better because they are all so different. A paranormal, a historical and urban thriller. Now that is what I call flexing your creative muscles. What is up next after The Bell Stalker? Another ghost?

It made my day to have won one of your books from yesterday's blog. Thank you!
Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

Chelsea B. said...

I enjoyed the interview very much! I'm the same way: I don't write all the time, but when I do it's like bam, bam, bam! :-) Of course I just write for myself so I don't have a deadline!

justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Phyllis said...

Great interview! Love your books!!

Chelsea Rafferty said...

You're so amazing Minnette! I can't imagine sitting down and writing 10-20k in one sitting... Heck, I've had trouble with college Papers that were 8k length lol and struggled to get them done in a week or two :P Just curious Minnette when you write do you do an outline? Can't remember if I've asked you that.. but for outline I mean like

A. Man meets women
1. women is really a witch and man hates witches
2. Man is really a prenatural being from a completely different dimesion and in his dimension witches are dark evil creatures of the night.


Haha.. well not quite like that but what I'm asking is do you use an outline like above for each and every chapter etc? :P

Thelma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minnette Meador said...

Hi, all... Sorry about the delay in commenting today. For some reason I can't get into blogger from work, so I was stuck....

Hi, Christiana! I think Bell Stalker will be a lot of fun for readers. It's full of suspense, action, and just plain fun and the relationship between the hero and heroine (ex-husband and ex-wife) sets things smoking. The antagonist will hopefully take you by surprise... it is a little outside the box, just so you know. Stay tuned...

Hi, Bama! Thanks for coming over, honey!

I really hope you'll like them Tammy.

I had a busy day, Shadow! We are swamped at work. It's nice to come home to talk to you guys. ~sigh~

Na - I was so excited you won the book last night! I really hope you like it. I'm taking a little time off after Bell Stalker and will start on the next ghost story after that, then onto another historical. I also have a Sci-Fi in the works that's appropriate for YA, so I'm anxious to get to that one as well. If everything goes well, those will be my three books for next year. ~fingers crossed~

I want you to write for us, Chelsea! LOL I really like marathoning it!

Thanks, Phyllis! That just made my day! M:o)

Thelma said...

Minnette, great interview. I have to say that I loved your Gladiator books. After the first 3 pages you are dragged in and do not want to put them down. Looking forward to the next books that you write.

tjbbanzhoff@yahoo.com

April said...

I just started The Centurian and the Queen... LOVE IT!!

Leanne109 said...

Great interview! Could you tell us more about your children's book?

leanne :D

Minnette Meador said...

Hi, Chelsea R!! I do write down a plot for every book these days, mostly because I've had to... the old grey matter just ain't what it used to be! Like your example, I do write down an overall plot: boy meets girl, girl meet ghosts, ghosts scare girl, boy saves world, girl ignores ghosts, boy gets girl. I do what I call a chapter synopsis for the book first, then expand on each of those. Things like: Whose point of view, opening, climax, closing, hanger... Most of my chapter follow that format.

Oh, Thelma, that does an old writer's heart good to hear! I am so glad you liked them. They are very special to me. Wait 'til you hear Hasani's story!

Thanks, April... That book was my very first romance and I haven't looked back... :o)

Great question, Leanne... Actually I only have one published with another on the way... I had to shelf it for a bit when DH took ill a couple of years ago. The first one is called A BOY & HIS WIZARD about a young man who gets lost in the woods and stumbles upon a strange wizard and five magical chests. He is told to pick a trunk and of course he chooses poorly four times because getting it right. His adventures as he falls into each trunk (treats, toys, electronics, adventure, and a plain one that says, "HOME" on the outside) are very funny and unexpected. It is available at Amazon or BN in printed book if you'd like to order it, or, if you would like a signed copy, contact Jan's Paperback Books and I will personalize it for you or your little one. It is in what I call my "Read Aloud" series and is meant for an adult to read to a child or an older child to read to little one. It has a definite tempo to it...
IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO,
ALMOST TWO WEEKS, I'D SAY,
THAT JAMIE J. JINGLE,
FOUND MAGIC ONE DAY.

ALONE IN THE WOODS,
WITH NO ONE ABOUT,
IN TREES TALL AND SCARY,
AND WITHOUT A WAY OUT.

:o)

Christiana said...

Minnette, I think I just figured out what to get my godson for Christmas. He loves books, albeit he prefers Transformers and Spiderman, but I think he would enjoy your book.

The more you tell me about The Bell Stalker The more impatient I am getting!

~Christiana~

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Christiana! If you order it through Jan's I'll sign it for him before she sends it. Makes sure to give them his name. Their FB page is: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000608208171

If anyone else would like signed paperbacks, Jan's carries all my books in stock and I go over and sign them whenever they do an order, since they are here in town. A Ghost of a Chance and The Gladiator Prince are not yet out in paperback but should be in about three months.

Chelsea Rafferty said...

Thanks Minnette! I figured most authors probably do the chapter plot lines like that.. I eventually want to try my hand on it but I like knowing "how" I'm going to do something first... And thanks for the other info.. that's a good point on who's speaking, climax etc... Hmm I like both first and third person books.. but if I ever tried to write I'd probably be most comfortable in third person.. I've gotten used to it from my college papers... lol :P though I do like how first person can really make you connect with a book more too.

And your kid story sounds totally awesome... I might stalk you for a signed copy sometime soon ;) I'm trying to encourage reading with my son and he's into a lot of site words right now :)

Christiana said...

Thanks Minnette, I will keep that handy, sadly I'm so behind, I haven't even begun my holiday shopping, and normally I'm just finishing it up. :)

~Christiana~

Minnette Meador said...

Glad to help, Chelsea. One day I'll write a first person book, but it will have to be a mystery... they lend themselves to that, don't you think?

So worries, Christiana - Just an option... :o)

Jean P. said...

Hi everyone, isn't this a lot of fun?

Minette, do you do multiple storylines at a time or stick with one story til it's completed and accepted for pub?

ejp5475(at)gmail(dot)com

marybelle said...

THE GLADIATOR PRINCE is already on my list & now I am also looking forward to THE BELL STALKER. WOW!!

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Minnette Meador said...

AND THE WINNER IS.....

SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, girl... Send me your address and I'll mail the bracelet to you.

shadow_kohler said...

yay! thank you! so excited!

Julie Robinson said...

Sounds like you don't sleep a whole lot, Minnette!

I am so relieved to hear that you are a marathon writer. I try to pace myself, but it's forcing myself to be something I'm not. Instead, I skip days. It's like whatever I'm envisioning has to percolate.

And I remember that murder scene in The Bell Stalker. Can't wait to read more.