Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Homosexuals are ruining the American family unit! – Really?


The other day I was sitting in the comfy chairs at Starbucks, writing, and a cute female gay couple sat down next to me. I didn’t hear what they were talking about because I had my ear buds in listening to Latin love songs while I worked. The couple sat by me for about twenty or thirty minutes. They laughed and smiled at each other, held hands for a few seconds and just before they left the store the one with dark hair walked up behind her partner and kissed her on the cheek. I didn’t suddenly turn into a lesbian. I didn’t desire to go kiss a girl. No one dropped dead and the world didn’t end...Nothing. The gay couple left and I continued to write.

The argument that gays are ruining America sounds a lot like an argument I grew up with. Years ago I went to prom with a guy from Puerto Rico. There was no way in the world anyone was mistaking this guy for a white guy and I would never be mistaken for anything other than a white girl. His skin was a lovely shade of chocolate brown but I had no idea what his heritage was. He could have been part Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, Jewish, or any number of ethnicities. It didn’t really matter to me because he was a great friend and a nice guy. It didn’t hurt either that he was super hot.

Anyways when my date came to pick me up my mom wouldn’t even let him inside of our house because of his skin color. Her actions made an impact on me, but probably not the one she was hoping for. I couldn’t see any reason not to let my date into our house or to spend time with him, but she did.

Nothing bad happened on that date. I didn’t die, I didn’t change colors and we didn’t rob a store or go to jail. I came home the next day, cause it was prom I stayed out most of the night, and I was still the same person as I was the day before. I hadn’t changed into a black person even though I’d gone dancing, kissing and fooling around with one hot dude who happened to have dark skin.

The argument back then was that people who were not white were ruining America. Now most people have abandoned that argument and picked up another lie. Now it’s gay’s ruining America. I’m not sure why but some people actually think that gays have the ability to turn a straight person gay. Gay people are not magical creatures who can turn a straight person gay. I have a few gay friends and gay relatives that I hang out with. Eating dinner with them, going out to movies with them or just general hanging out with gay people has never made me want to be gay.

I was born this way, I’m straight and no matter how many lesbians or gay guys I meet I will never be gay. I want to say to all the straight guys out there who are worried about it, no gay man is going to talk you into being gay unless you already have gay tendencies. If you’re a gay man and you’ve never been introduced to any gay guys and suddenly you meet one and are attracted to him, the new gay guy you just met didn’t turn you gay. You were born that way. And if you’re a gay guy no amount of touching a woman, kissing on her or having sex with her will turn you straight.

Gay people aren’t ruining America, straight people don’t need any help in ruining the world. Seeing a gay man kiss another gay man isn’t going to make a straight guy go home and beat his wife and kids, make him cheat on his wife or make him steal money. Straight guys do that all on their own and ruin the nuclear family without any help from gay guys. A straight woman isn’t going to develop neuroses, become an alcoholic, cheat on her spouse or abuse her kids because she saw two girls kissing.

It isn’t gay peoples fault if the American family is destroyed and laid to waste. The only way a homosexual could destroy a family is if they married a person of the opposite sex and were using the marriage to hide their “in the closet” life. Forcing gay’s to marry into a false relationship because of family pressure or societal pressure can ruin families but you can’t blame that on the homosexuals, it’s society that causes those problems.

Americans need to stop blaming others for their failures. The traditional family is falling apart because of straight people, not gays. Straight people need to take a long cold hard look in the mirror and that’s where they’ll find the cause of their problems. Stop blaming innocent people. Years ago black people were blamed for the ills of society and now that it’s no longer politically correct to put all of the blame on blacks we don’t. Have we not learned anything? Shoving that blame onto gays is wrong. Gay people are innocent in the downfall of society. Take responsibility for your actions, learn how to love the people around you and treat them special instead of wasting your energy hating others.

Sadly I don't think enough people who need to read this article will or they won't read all the way to the bottom. There is nothing great about being a bigot or a hater. Anyone can do that. I pray that some of the haters hear these words and change, not for only the sake of homosexuals that are negatively affected by the hatred but because hate destroys lives, mostly hate destroys the life of the hater.

16 comments:

Laura said...

Great post, Sara. Thanks for sharing.

Sexi Luv said...

thankyou!lexi

Edward Kendrick said...

Excellent post, and you're correct, the people who need to read it will probably never see it.

Sara York said...

Edward, hopefully the provocative title will pull them in. If one person can be influenced positively then it's worth it.

Thanks Laura and Lexi, have a great day.

newfern said...

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was looking at all the pretty pictures along the sides. Oh, right. Hate is bad. Totally agreed.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Taking responsibility... now there's the kicker. It's more convenient for people to blame someone else, like gays, or other religions, or other races, rather than take responsibility for their own actions and maybe admit they stuffed up somewhere.

My husband has a female friend who is gay. I think she's awesome, and I love catching up with her when we all go out. I never even really think about the fact that she's gay, and it doesn't even bother me when she jokes she wants to steal me away from my husband. She's a nice person. Being gay is just like having blue eyes. It doesn't affect other people and it's not even worth thinking about.

Christina Majaski said...

It has a bit to do with progression and evolving. While some didn't want it to happen back then, some don't want it to happen now, but it will because it's part of evolution and how societies progress. We're supposed to get smarter. In 10 or 20 years, no one will think twice about gay or not, we'll have something else to be afraid of.

Btw, had a totally hot PR boyfriend too. Good times...;)

Sue Brown said...

Excellent and concise post. I'd love to point out to the haters that their family ideas are nineteenth century, rather than biblical, but I'd have to get past the hate bunging up their ears.

marybelle said...

BRAVO!!!

tom ... asheville, nc said...

great blog ... keep up the good work.

tom ... asheville, nc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Well said. I've never understood how a gay couple living down the street would destroy any marriage or the 'family unity.' I totally agree, straight people are perfectly able to screw things up on their own, they don't need help from others.

Rawiya said...

Great article Sara. People are so silly at how they come up with accusations right?

Sara York said...

Thanks everyone, now is the time for people to realize that blaming this member or that member of society won't fix the problems. Be responsible for your own life and make decisions that you would be proud of!

Jude Mason said...

Grr, silly thing wasn't going to let me post...Ahem!

Sara, a wonderful, concise post. I've heard it said, the gays of today are the black's of yesterday. We've simply changed the blame, hate, dissatisfaction from blacks to gays. How sad. How immature!

I truly hope the human race lasts long enough to grow up and quit blaming others for the mess it's created for itself. And yes, it's the hetro world that's done that.

Jude

Abigail-Madison Chase said...

Excellent Post!