Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Flash Fiction, a Speedo and Broken Bones. What do they all have in common?

It seems like I've been writing quite a bit of flash fiction recently. On Saturday I had a minor surgical procedure called balloon sinuplasty. Basically they give you a lot of topical drugs, including the legal form of cocaine, numb you up and shove a plastic balloon up your nose, and as they put it, they open the airways. Sounds nice, right? What they really mean is they crush the bones on the inside of your nose to force the area to be wider. Yes, I was awake for the procedure so I heard the bones being crushed as they were working.

A few things I've noticed, my voice sounds different. Not bad, but different. I have enough voices running through my head, and now I have another one I don't recognize when I speak. A bit disturbing...If you cry after having your bones in your nose broken, it hurts. I had a misunderstanding with someone on Sunday, and let's just say I've cried a bit. It freaking hurts to cry. Another thing, just after the procedure I had to run into a Walgreens. While I was in the store I noticed that people freak out when you have blood running down your face. If you ever have balloon sinuplasty don't go into a store after the surgery.

The last thing I figured out, I can write when I'm doped up on Valium, legal cocaine (notice I didn't say the illegal versions) and all the other fun drugs they shot into me. Click here to read the flash fiction I wrote while I was doped up. I hope you enjoy.

9 comments:

Pender Mackie said...

Ouch, Sara. Hope you're pain free soon. Take care of yourself.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I shall remember the advice on balloon rhinoplasty. Yowsa. I hope you feel better soon.

Sara York said...

Thanks Pender and Michael, I'm sure it will get better soon. Funny what makes you hurt. My pillow isn't as soft as I used to think it was.

Nick S Nicholas said...

Awww I hope you feel better soon. Enjoy the legal meds while they last!

dave94015 said...

The FF was remarkable - especially while being (legally) "doped"! The procedure is to improve breathing? Get well!

Sara York said...

Dave, yes it is to improve breathing. One of the major nasal passages had less than 1mm opening before the procedure, it's supposed to have at least 5mm of an opening.

Thanks Nick.

Davee said...

Hope you are feeling better today, Sara!

Sheila Deeth said...

Ouch! I'll remember your advice. And the people in Walgreens might remember you.

Sara York said...

I'm feeling so much better today, though last night I stood up, opened the door for the dogs then spun back around to sit down and almost blacked out. Rather disturbing.