Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Storm on Wednesday Briefs

Welcome to Wednesday Briefs, the post that will make you smile, laugh, cry, or just enjoy the story. A few weeks ago I had a Briefs story called Mike's Way, if you would like to pick up the ending it's available at AllRomance for free.

This week the prompt is "It was a dark and stormy night", or the alternative prompts are: candy, crow, a length of rope, or "When I saw his/her eyes, I just knew that...", or French kiss, French fry, third French object of your choice, or penguin, ventriloquist, rapier, or "Are you glad to see me or is that a (fill in the blank) in  your pocket?"

For this week I used "It was a dark and stormy night." --I just couldn't help myself!

The Storm

"It was a dark and--"

"You have got to be kidding me," Miles interrupted Nick.

"What, that's how the story starts," Nick said.

"Oh no way, I'm not listening to this." Miles stood from his chair, gathered his books and started to storm out but Randy, the facilitator for the group, stopped him.

"Sit down, now Miles. Let's let Nick continue. Maybe this will go somewhere."

"Thank you Randy. I promise you won't be disappointed," Nick said, using his most chipper voice.

Miles and a few others groaned leaving Nick feeling let down. Okay, so maybe his story wasn't the most original, but he was new to this and he was trying. He cleared his throat and started reading again.

"It was a dark and stormy night, the hounds had been put away for the night, the fires extinguished except for the one in his chamber. Viscount Castlereagh knew evil lurked in the old stone building, hid in the halls and snuck up on the unfortunate souls who tried to hide from the all knowing witch who cursed his grandfather, but he wouldn't play her game." Nick looked up, expecting to see seven bored faces but they were all staring at him in rapt attention. He looked down at the paper and continued.

"The Viscount was the third son of Robert Steward who he was named after since his elder brothers didn't survive. They died because of the curse but he'd escaped only through the counter blessing a good witch offered up, but that blessing had its limits and would pass away the day the witch died."

Nick glanced at Miles, noticing that he'd leant forward, his eyes wide. Nick knew Miles would like his story, that's why he'd done the research.

"Robert Stewart, the younger, had spent his life making sure the good witch had protection, but tonight he'd dropped his guard through no fault of his own, just an oversight. The storm was to blame, that and the cursed accusers. They'd thrown him off, searching through his business and finding out about Nicholas, the grooms man. Robert loved his first wife and his second one, but Nicholas was his passion. His long legs and tight abs drove Robert crazy. But on this night, he was beyond crazy for Nicholas. Robert woke with a raging hard-on, desire pumping through his veins. Lightning crashed and thunder roared as rain lashed at the windowpanes, leaving him disoriented.

"Robert went in search for Nicholas, but couldn't find him. The castle was dark, so dark and he heard whispers behind him. Robert turned and twisted, searching for the intruders but he couldn't find anyone. With all options gone Robert grabbed a--"

There was a bright flash and thunder crashed outside. The lights in the basement cafe went out, leaving the place in total darkness. The three girls screeched and a couple of guys yelled. Randy told everyone to hold still. Someone pulled out their cell phone, the screen giving off a small amount of light. Other's followed suit, lighting the room with their cell screens.

Miles approached Nick, and sidled up next to him. Miles grasped onto the belt loops on Nick's jeans. He leant down, whispering in Nick's ear. "Don't go anywhere without me."

Nick looked up, finding Miles's face illuminated by cellphone, his gaze searching Nick's. Nick stood, wrapping his arm around Miles's shoulder, smiling down at the guy. "I'll be here."

"I'm sorry," Miles said.

"Why?"

"You're story is good. You're good. I didn't think you liked me that way."

"What changed your mind?" Nick asked.

"Nicholas from your story. Even though the names are switched, I'm Nicholas and you're Robert."

Nick smiled down at Miles, deciding to push for more. "How did you get that?"

Miles's face turned red. "Please don't tell me I was wrong."

Nick dropped a kiss on Miles's forehead, "No, you're not wrong."

"So what happened to Robert?" Miles asked.

"You'll have to find out later," Nick whispered in his ear.

"What?"

"Let's go back to my place and I'll tell you." Nick led Miles up the stairs and out into the rain. They ran the two blocks to Nick's apartment, getting soaked in the process, but Nick didn't mind because it gave him a great excuse to cuddle under a blanket with Miles and snuggle close as they discussed the Viscount and wickedness that led to his death.

(Author's note, I took historical liberty with the story of Viscount Castlereagh. Robert Stewart, the Viscount was accused of homosexuality and did commit suicide in 1822. The witch, of course is fictional)

For more Briefs visit these pages.



Ashlynn Monroe    m/f
Michael Mandrake    m/m
Nephylim     m/m
Lily Sawyer      m/m 
MA Church   m/m 
Victoria Blisse    m/f
AJ Jarrett    m/m
Elyzabeth VaLey     m/f
MC Houle     m/m





11 comments:

Talismania said...

I loved this take on campfire ghost stories and stormy nights and squeals and the light bulb going on... and you have a lovely writing voice, too! :)

Nephylim said...

I really enjoyed this story. It's sad that Robert died in the end but happily balanced by the way Nick and Miles got together, cuddling under the warm blanket.

Savannah Chase said...

Fantastic story. I enjoyed reading your post.

ashlynn monroe said...

wow! What a great story!

Julie Lynn Hayes said...

Wow, that was so cool! I loved it!

Victoria Blisse said...

Great stuff! I picked the same prompt, it called to me. :)

MA Church said...

Well shoot, I was just as enthralled as the group, lol!!!

~M

M-C. Houle said...

Great story.

On another note, I read the end of Mike's way, and got caught up in the excerpt of "Not That Kind of Guy". So I bought it, and I just wanted to tell you it was awesome. I love how it's not the traditional 'the CIA turning on their own' story. And the way you made Aiden realised he was gay was really original.

MC.

BLMorticia said...

I loved this take on it Sara. Nicely done

SLira/Michael Mandrake

Sara York said...

Thanks MC, that made me smile.

AJ said...

I liked it! Good use of the prompt.