Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Open Letter to Mitt Romney


I don't usually post political stuff but this issue is more about choosing the right path than politics. Harming others is wrong and I can no longer support anyone who's main objective is to harm others. With the Hop Against Homophobia coming up on the 17th this needs to be said, so I'm saying it here and out loud, so others know that Christianity and supporting gay marriage go hand in hand.

This is a letter I sent to Mitt Romney. Do I think he'll actually read it, no, because he probably has some advisor who will stuff it into the trash and hide it from him.

Dear Mr. Romney,

I am a bible believing Christian who has spent countless hours studying the bible, teaching bible study, taking bible studies, and sitting through church services. I love God with all of my heart. He is the reason I'm still breathing. God has saved me from my self time and time again.

I know that the most important commandment is to love God with all your heart and to love others as you would yourself. Loving others is the most important thing we can do here on earth after loving God. In that vein, I implore you to love those who need love the most and support gay marriage. After all of my bible studies, going back to the original Hebrew and Greek, I have found that God wasn't so much against homosexuality, but he was against harming others, which is in line with the most important commandment. Love others. You see, back then the temple prostitutes were treated badly and people would use them in the name of God, but really they were just jerks getting off and abusing another person's body. God found their practices to be an abomination, not because it was gay sex, but because it harmed others and harmed God. In 50 years you will either be known as the idiot republican who was too stupid to see the truth about gays, or if you support gay marriage and homosexuals, you will be known as the greatest president ever.

You see, if you don't support homosexuals and gay marriage, I won't vote for you. I am a republican, but I can't vote for a bigot who harms my friends.

Sincerely,
Sara York

4 comments:

Sue Brown said...

Thank you for being brave to speak out.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Eloquent letter. I wish I knew more Republicans like you. Perhaps I wouldn't have such a negative opinion of them.

Dorien/Roger said...

Hooray for you, kid!!! Well said. We need another ten million like you!

Cliffgirl said...

Just now finding your blog, so this is a little late in coming, but I agree with you 100%. I too am a Bible-believing hetero Christian who decided a couple of years ago that most people who claim to believe have it all wrong. How can they claim that a loving God who made us in His image hates gays? Why would he put same-sex desire into teenagers who are already struggling with the usual angst of their age-group and confuse the heck out of them and call it sin? It would be wrong, and since God is supposed to be perfect... well, then it can't be wrong. Personally, I have lost faith in all politicians, but I believe someone needs to take a stand and let gay marriage become a reality for everyone.