Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Love is Love Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia

Over the last year there have been many improvements in the fight against homophobia and transphobia. There are still hateful people out there, but the number of people against hate is growing. States actually recognize gay marriage. However, there is still hate. People are still beat up for no reason other than they want/desire someone of the same sex. When you take a step back, looking at the actions of homophobics, you see that their actions are full of hate. I don't have a great story this year or much to say except love is love.

This post struck me today. It's originally on Tumbler but I've posted it here. It broke my heart. This woman isn't wrong/broke/evil. She is normal, just like all gay and lesbians are just normal people who want the same rights as everyone else. Here's the link to the article.

http://missmutton.tumblr.com/post/50636487896/lexuswillow-this-is-an-old-family-picture-my

This is an old family picture.
My family does not support my being in the LGBTQIA community. They actually are opposed to it. They tell me every day that its disgusting and that it’s sinful and I’ll go to hell for liking women.
I moved out when I was seventeen, and in January I moved back in with them because I couldn’t handle everything that was going on. Every day one of my five siblings tells me to go back to Minnesota. My little brother Charlie (the black baby in the picture) is now 8 and he constantly physically attacks me and tells me that I’m not his sister and to leave. My other siblings make it very obvious and clear that they don’t want me here and my parents tell me constantly that they’re gonna kick me out soon.
I’ve been saving every penny for a bus ticket to Oregon to stay with my best friend and today I found this picture in my sisters’ room ON DISPLAY. Not hidden. On display. They cut my face out of the picture.
And that… That was just the last straw.
I don’t care if anyone reblogs this or whatever, I don’t wanna get popular, I just want people to know that this is not what a family looks like. This is not something people should have to go through.
This is no life.

May 17 is International day against Homophobia and Transphobia.

The main Hop page is here.

I'll be giving away a copy of an ebook from my backlist to one lucky commenter.

25 comments:

Erica Pike said...

Ugh, that's just heartbreaking. To poison the minds of kids like that... I hope she gets out and has a bright future.

Erica
eripike at gmail dot com

Jackie mcKenzie said...

I hope this young woman finds happiness. Sometimes it blows my mind that people would teach their kids to hate. I will never understand this. To this young woman, for every person that hates you for who you are, there are more that will love you for the same reason. Keep your head up and be strong. You are amazing!

Crissy Morris said...

That breaks my heart. I hope that she finds her true family. People who love and accept her no matter what. That's what she deserves.

morris.crissy@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

That is just heartbreaking. I hope she gets the chance to choose her own family!

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

laurie said...

that is terrible. i hope if there is any justice in this world her family will have some serious xplaining to do when they arrive at the perly gates and have to atone for their actions

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

JPadawan11 said...

That is just so awful. Thank you for sharing. The hate needs to end.

Beth
JPadawan11@gmail.com

the jo said...

How incredibly sad. That family has thrown away the love of a wonderful young woman all because of who she is. How can anyone treat there own family this way...and to teach the siblings to hate their sister...AYE!!! I cannot believe this kind of thing goes on in this day and age. It makes me physically ill.

Thank you for sharing the story and for participating in the Hop.

your fan,
jo
johannasnodgrass(at)yahoo(dot)com

amilyn said...

A heartbreaking story. I so hope the girl is able to get to her best friend and find happiness living her life how she wants.

lina7391(at)hotmail(dot)com

C Kennedy said...

Wow, what a terrific post!
Here's to the day that we no longer have a need for a Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia!
~Cody

Lena Grey said...

You are one of the bravest people I know, Sara! Thanks for bearing your heart and thanks for taking part in the hop.

lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

Andrew J. Peters said...

Thanks for participating in the Hop, and sharing this story. Heart-breaking as it is, this still happens in families and people should be aware of it.

Best
ajpeters@ajpeterswrites.com

nancy said...

Please tell us she made it to Oregon and left those vile bigots behind!

Urb said...

That picture of a picture made my blood run cold! Why put so much energy into blatant displays of hatred. And poisoning the mind of the young child who has the misfortune to be raised by these bigots. Their attitudes on race are probably more hidden, but just as bad, I hope she flew free to Oregon, and is thriving there now.

H.B. said...

Wow, I'm just am so shock at what extent some people go to and to raise children to be of the same mind makes me sad and angry. I hope the female who shared this finds acceptance and happiness.

humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

Peggy said...

What is so sad is knowing children start out hating no one, it is all learned from parents and other adults. Thanks for the post.

peggy1984 (at) live (dot) com

ShirleyAnn said...

I don't know what to say how can people in 2013 still behave like this?

ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

Sophie Bonaste said...

That is awful. I don't understand how there can be so much hatred in the world. It is stories like that that make me doubt the human race.

Sophie
sophiebonaste@gmail.com

Juliana said...

So sad to see things like this, families ripped apart by ignorance and hate...
Thanks so much for sharing your post in this blog hop! Such an important subject.

OceanAkers @ aol.com

Harper Kingsley said...

Aw, that's sad. I hope she makes it out of that house. Sometimes the family you make is better than the one you're born with.

HarperKingsley0.0 at gmail dot com

Emily said...

That's so sad. What's even sadder is that this isn't an uncommon story. You know, I'll be the first to admit that my family isn't perfect, but at least they support me, even if they don't always approve. I hope that this young woman finds her happiness, and that she is able to find people who will love her just the way she is. My prayers are with her.

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

a03dc980-9900-11e2-b72b-000bcdcb471e said...

Wow, Sara, I'm so glad you shared that with all of us. As much as we know things are getting better, we need to remember how people are struggling and being hurt emotionally and physically every day. That story just leaves me aching, and although all the wonderful, happy stories are great, I will use the heartbreaking ones like that one and too many we know about as the motivation to keep working for change. Too much pain over love.

Thank you for sharing with all of us.

caroaz [at] ymail [dot] com

Penumbra said...

That is so sad. And what's going to be ironic, is that there will be white people who are going to hate her African American adopted brother some day. I hope he can look back and realize what he did to his sister when the hate happens to him.

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

Jade Crystal said...

I think I must have stared at that picture for a good five minutes at least. I wouldn't think of cutting one of my kids out of family photos if they killed someone, and someone did this just because of who she was attracted to, something she has no control over. It makes me absolutely sick. Those people have no business raising children. Thanks for sharing her story and spreading awareness.

bloodandfires (at) yahoo (dot) com

Sherry said...

Great post! It's sad to say but family can hurt you more than anyone else can. It's so hard to believe that they can be so sold. Thank you for taking part in the hop!
sstrode at scrtc dot com

Shadow said...

Aww. That breaks my heart! That is so wrong. Im so sorry. Family should support one another. They should love each other. It doesnt matter who they are, what they like, etc. People are so damn simple minded. This pisses me off. Thanks for sharing!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com