Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Why The Name? And If You’re Offended...

So the question has come up, why the title Pray The Gay Away? What’s in a name anyway? Apparently some people are offended by the name of the book. I get it, however I’m not concerned with offending you when choosing a name for the book puts it in the top search on Google for How To Pray The Gay Away.

Why is that important? There are parents out there searching for answers, kids looking for information. Those kids are afraid and alone, wondering if their preacher is right, if they can be cured by praying the gay away. They are surrounded by close-minded individuals who tell them they are sick or broken. That is wrong.

Those of us who aren’t in the closet and read MM books don’t have to worry about our family finding out like these kids do. We don’t have to fret over what our parent’s will think. We read the genre and go about our daily lives. So yes, if I’ve offended some of the people who read MM on a regular basis, sorry, but I’d rather risk offending you than risk not reaching one family and showing them that there is another way.

I didn’t write this book so MM readers could feel good about themselves. In the beginning, when I first started writing the book it was a lark that soon turned into something so much more. Had I kept on the original path for what the book was going to be, I probably would have changed the name, but once the characters revealed themselves, I realized this book was going to be more than I had anticipated.


This series is bigger than me trying to please my readers. Yes, some of my books are written because of my readers, this one isn’t that type of story. This book series ripped my heart out, twisted me around, and left me bereft. I was empty for weeks after finishing this story because it is life changing for those kids whose parents want to send them to gay therapy camp. It’s crucial for kids who hear everyday that they are sick. If I risk offending one MM reader but save a kid from a lifetime of self-hate and pain, it’s worth it to me.




4 comments:

Tricia said...

I think the only people who are going to be upset by the name are those who are searching Amazon for a way to "fix" their child, but instead stumble upon a romance novel instead. I hope this book finds its way into the hands of teens and young adults who need to know they don't need to be "fixed." They're perfect the way they are--the way God made them. I just read and reviewed your book. Though it was more sexually explicit than I expected, I would wholeheartedly recommend the book to anyone 16 and older. It's a heartbreaking romance and I can understand why it ripped your heart out to write it.

My review is on Authors to Watch if you or your readers are interested in reading it. Thanks!

Travis said...

Being from a small town in pa, i had to hide my feelings and pretend that i wasn't different. Being Gay would have resulted in getting harassed and probably beat up at school. I moved away for college and was able to accept that i was different and that i didn't need to change. I still have not worked up the courage to come out to my family and I'm 23. But in also not afraid to accept myself and live my life. I wish i would have read this book in high school as i feel it would have been a support system. You can not pray the gay away and we all as a society need to start accepting each other. This was a great book and i encourage you to publish more

alvia2 said...

Will you write a book about billy

Anonymous said...

You take an aggressive approach to a serious topic with a spin that exploits gay men as a minority. It sounds good at a glance, but the flaws are there because you're not a gay man. I don't see how being straight and also having the mind set that you are out of the closet because you read M and M books is even remotely related to the feelings and emotions any gay man goes through in his lifetime, even those who are not forced into reparation therapy. You wouldn't be allowed to write about African Americans this way for monetary gain, or any other minority, without coming under fire for not only being politically incorrect, but also for taking advantage of a weak culture that still doesn't have all the support it needs from within. No other minority would allow you to do it. Go ahead, try writing African American fiction and see what happens. If you have even the slightest clue as to what it's like to be a gay man who is absolutely terrified to come out this blog wouldn't even exist. And I think you should know that gay men are getting sick and tired of it, and the insults. Not the pandering gay men you know in M and M fiction who are also making money on their own kind. I'm talking about the gay men who are discovering just how they are being exploited this way. And don't tell us you're trying to help. We're not going to tap dance to that tune any more. There are millions of straight people helping without making money on us. They aren't telling us who we are and how we feel. They are listening, not taking aggressive stands on topics they can't even begin to understand. You need a great big reality check, and a huge dose of humility. The most upsetting part of this is that hundred of gay authors are out there struggling to survive writing on topics like this and you're taking money away from them because of one simple rule: white straight people still rule the world.